Monday, June 30, 2014

I am SPARTAN


This past Saturday Aaron and I ran the Spartan Beast along with my co-workers up in Soldier Hollow. It was the worst 5 hours of my life. Literally, never again would I ever do this race. 

We look happy here cause we have no idea what's in store for us. 
The Beast was appropriately names- 12 mile course with 29 obstacles like climbing ropes, carrying 100 lb. rocks up and down hills, scaling 10 foot walls, crawling under barbed wire, jumping in mud puddles and other crazy feats. 

The Spartan is a little different than other races in that if you don't complete an obstacle, or can't do one, you have to do 30 burpees. Luckily Aaron and I only did 3-4 sets of burpees, but it was still killer. I am so proud to say that we both got the spear in the hay! See the pic in the bottom right corner. No burpees for us on that obstacle. 
 The worst part of it all was that we were literally scaling mountains. Up and down, up and down, up and down we went. The course was designed all around the mountains and it definitely got to our knees. We stayed ahead of our group the whole time, I'm proud that we finished first, although we were some of the youngest haha. I just had to keep going and just wanted to be done the second we started. I am so glad Aaron was there with me the whole time, he boosted me over walls, helped me out of the mud and helped me carry heavy things, definitely couldn't do it without him. We finished in 4 hours and 46 minutes.

After the finish we guzzled protein drinks, bars and bananas, watched the finish line for a bit and tried to rinse off. The water hoses for rinsing were freezing cold, and were ranked right up there with the hills on the worst part of the race. At that point I didn't care that we were still muddy and wet, just wanted to go home. By that time, my body had shut down, I could barely even walk and was taking the tiniest steps ever. It took us close to a half hour to walk to the car. Luckily I haven't been that sore since. 

We drove home and picked up some Cafe Rio on the way home, it was delicious! Definitely hit the spot. After we got all cleaned up, Jake and Mary came over and we watched Survivorman for 3 hours, most of which I fell asleep. 

Last night we barbecued hot dogs at 9, and it was still light outside, I love summer nights! 
 Aaand I finally finished painting these letters and hung them over our bed, loving how they look! 
So sooo soooo glad to have that weekend over! 

1 comment: